Despite his and the Hulk's heroics as a member of the Avengers during the Battle of Manhattan, Dr. Bruce Banner is still wanted as a fugutive by the U.S. military, at the insistance of General Thaddeus Ross, who still harbors a grudge against Hulk / Banner because of his past actions.
The film begins with SHIELD agent Jasper Sitwell driving Banner to a safehouse in the Quintana Roo province of Mexico, where he is being relocated while SHIELD tries to negotiate a pardon from the military for him, in the (very likely) chance that General Ross does not allow it on his own.
- Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / The Hulk
- Lou Ferrigno as the voice of the Hulk
- Liv Tyler as Elizabeth "Betty" Ross
- William Hurt as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
- Ty Burrell as Doc Samson
- Christopher Meloni as Major Glenn Talbot
- Aaron Paul as PFC Benjamin Tibbits / Flux
- Stephen Lang as General John Ryker
Additionally, Manuel Tadros portrays the President of Mexico, and Maximiliano Hernández reprises his role as SHIELD agent Jasper Sitwell. Samuel L. Jackson briefly appears as Nick Fury via video where he asks General Ross to pardon the Hulk, or at least consider it. Stan Lee also cameos as an unidentified military officer who Ryker briefly converses with. Jeremy Renner also has a cameo as Hawkeye.
- During the mid-credits scene, Major Talbot receives a call from the person who secretly manipulated General Ryker who identifies himself as "the Leader", thus establishing The Leader as the main antagonist of the third Incredible Hulk film.
- Task Force Gamma is an amalgation of the Gamma Corps and the Hulkbusters.